Many of us in online business today have at least one email marketing list of some kind. Most of us are subscribed to at least 20 mailing lists or more… (or if your inbox looks like mine, more than 100 :/ )
We all know the benefits of email marketing and having a mailing list.
We know how to use and email our list.
We might even be using our list to capture new leads for our business.
But what I’ve noticed over the years is many business owners just arent using their list.
Does this sound like you?
So often I hear at least one of the following:
- I dont want to spam people’s inboxes
- People dont want more emails in their inbox
- I dont have time for email marketing
- I dont know what to send or how to write
- I havent emailed my list in so long I dont know how to start now
- Whenever I send an email lots of people unsubscribe
- …and the list goes on…
What I say to those comments usually goes a little something like this:
- Spamming is not cool, no-one likes it, but emailing your list once a week, fortnight or month IS NOT SPAM. If it really plays on your mind give your subscribers the option as to how often your updates go out to them.
- If people didn’t want more emails they would not have signed up to your list in the first place. If they don’t want any more emails from you they will unsubscribe and that’s OK.
- Unsubscribes are not bad for business. Unsubscribes are not a personal attack against you or your business. Unsubscribes ensure that you are only paying for your messages to go to the right people, the people who are interested in you and your business.
- If you feel like email marketing comes across spammy, make your strategy to provide valuable content or entertainment to your list and save your sales pitches for another platform.
- If you don’t have time, why have a mailing list to begin with? Furthermore, making the time to nurture, educate and engage with your list only has positive benefits for your business… how can you not have time to do good things for your business and your customers??
If you take one thing on board today, I would love for it to be this…
Subscribers have signed up for your mailing list for a reason.
The number one reason is – They want to hear from you.
They want to know more about your business and what you offer, they want to learn from you, and they want to buy from you.
Think about lists you have signed up for… Did you sign up so you could never hear from that person or company ever again?? NO of course not!
You subscribed to know what’s happening, to hear about sales events, to learn more, to be reminded about events, etc.
The same applies to your list.
So if you do have a mailing list you have kind of put on the back burner, get out there and commit to emailing your list a little more regularly this year.
This doesn’t mean you have to email them every day, or even every week; but it does mean…
- dont become invisible once you have convinced people to join your list
- do email them more than once a year
- do tell your list about you, your offering and what you know
“But I Have Nothing To Share… “
You have plenty to share!
Here are some ideas to get you started…
- Share your blog posts – could be the latest one, could be a round-up of your most popular posts, or it could be a throwback to an old post with commentary on changes since then.
- Write about WHY you created one of your products and services
- Share an update of your latest client work or product development progress
- Write about any business-related events you are going to or preparing for
- Share feedback from customers or ASK for feedback from your list
- Invite them to something – this might even be a VIP sale, or a survey, or join you at an event, or a free webinar
- Show them something – your behind the scenes, the how to, etc.
- Entertain them – everyone loves a good meme or inspiration quote!
- Sell them something.
That should be enough to at least get you started!
If it’s been a while since you have emailed your list, GO. GO NOW.
….and then set a reminder to send another within the next 30 days 😉